Parent Communications | U Prep Community Memorial Page | Google Classroom | Student Resources | Contact Information | COVID-19 Prevention & Resources
On behalf of the faculty and staff at U Prep Schools thank you for your patience and flexibility as we work together to ensure that the needs of the U Prep community are being met through this crisis.
The U Prep Schools team is committed to ensuring the health and safety of the U Prep community. We are also committed to providing a learning environment that is flexible and in accordance with the phases defined in the Michigan Safe Start Plan. Click to review the Michigan Safe Start Plan.
As we have experienced over the past several months, information regarding the impact of COVID-19 to our region is changing rapidly. Please know that the team at U Prep is highly committed to keeping all members of our community informed of how these changes will impact the learning and teaching planned for the 2020-21 school year.
Please visit this page often as this is where communication updates will be posted.
Please review the latest parent communication by clicking on the links below.
Please review the latest Staff communication by clicking on the links below.
Teachers are using a variety of web platforms to interact with families. Google Classroom, Remind Me, Bloomz and others. They will be available during the hours of 8:30 am – 3:30 pm daily. Please allow at minimum a 30-45 minute response to ensure each scholar is assisted appropriately. We will continue to learn ways to engage with students as we progress.
If you are having any technical challenges, contact Leandra Baker, IT Coordinator, via email at email@example.com. Please make certain you state your problem and leave your contact information. Click here to view the Google Classroom instructions and IT support instructions. Click here to view the Parent resource letter.
Updates to our program will be provided to our families via Robocall, Email, and will be posted below.
By now, you should have received a mailer, to the address that is on file with your child’s school announcing the Pandemic Electronic Benefit Transfer Program(P-EBT). This program offers food assistance benefits to Michigan families with students (age 0 to 26) who qualify for free or reduced lunch benefits. No application is necessary for eligible families who receive P-EBT Benefits.
P-EBT is not a U Prep Schools program. Please visit the Michigan Department of Education’s webpage https://www.michigan.gov/mde/0,4615,7-140-66254_99536—,00.html, or call 833.905.0028 for more information.
Telecommuting and homeschooling are new to many of us. The combination of both can provide a challenge for families with multiple children of various ages and let’s not forget our beloved pets. There are some great suggestions online on how to convert your home into both a classroom and an office. Attached is a link to some suggestions on How to Adjust to Working Remotely with Kids During COVID-19 and How to Create a Learning Environment in the Home.
U Prep Schools is grateful to Ascension Michigan School-Based Health Centers who have locations inside of two of our schools, for offering virtual medical and mental health services to students at UPSM Elementary and UPA Middle Schools. The services are available Monday-Friday, from 10am until 3pm.
To access medical services, contact Nurse Practitioner, Sheiraz Tekko at (313) 264-6611 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. For mental health services, contact Behavioral Health Counselor, Heather Murphy at email@example.com.
Parents, please be advised – you will need to provide verbal or written consent to access services for your child.
Our school social workers have also assembled a list of valuable resources that are available to our families during this challenging time.
Click below for recommendations from Athletic Director, Andre Criswell. He has provided helpful tips on keeping your family active during the school closure.
U Prep Community Memorial Page
Click here to join us, in tribute, as we remember the lives lost in the U Prep Community to Coivd-19.
COVID-19 Prevention & Resources
The best defense against any contagious illness is frequent and effective handwashing and seeking immediate medical assistance if experiencing symptoms. Below are recommendations that we included in our letters to families and staff.
- Washing your hands with soap and water.
- Avoiding touching your eyes, nose or mouth with unwashed hands.
- Covering your mouth and nose with a tissue or upper sleeve when coughing or sneezing.
- Avoiding contact with people who are sick.
- Staying home if you are sick and contact your healthcare provider.
- Please refer to the links below for the most current information on taking precautions, symptoms, and situation updates.
U.S. Department of Health & Human Services – Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- CDC COVID-19 Link: www.cdc.gov/COVID19
- CDC Steps to Prevent Illness: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/about/prevention.html
- CDC Protect your family: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/protect/index.html
- CDC Guidance for Schools: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/community/schools-childcare/schools-faq.html
- CDC Talking With Your Child about COVID-19: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/community/schools-childcare/talking-with-children.html
Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS) Resources and Links
- MDHHS COVID-19 Link: https://www.michigan.gov/coronavirus/
- MDHHS COVID-19 Link for Childcare & School Administrators: https://www.michigan.gov/coronavirus/0,9753,7-406-98178_98157—,00.html
Detroit Health Department
- DHD Link: detroitmi.gov/health
- General questions about the outbreak, please call 313-876-4000 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- DHD COVID-19: https://detroitmi.gov/departments/detroit-health-department/programs-and-services/communicable-disease/coronavirus-covid-19